Gasoline and oir fired heaters, stoves and so forth

From: GOTaM35 (GOTaM35@joetrapp.com)
Date: Sat Nov 20 2004 - 21:34:59 PST

This may be a little off topic in some people's eyes, but I have a question
or two about the m1941 tent heaters and liquid fuel immersion heaters. I
say off topic to some but I think the immersion heaters are for use on water
buffalo's and the tent heater could be put in a truck?

The heaters I have appear to run on gasoline. I think you can use diesel or
kerosene but there is a warning that they will not work as well. I have
seen what I though to be "oil" fired heaters for the trucks, artic stuff.
My question is this, do most of the older military liquid fuel heaters use
gasoline? Are any designed to use diesel? I have several of these 1941
stoves and plan to sell a few on, dare I say, eBay. I have noticed other
people selling them on eBay but they say they are designed for oil. Several
do not mention gasoline at all. Are there some burners designed for oil as
the primary fuel?

Ronzo posted a link to the manual for these heaters the other day (thanks).
It would appear that the type II heaters discussed in this manual are for
gasoline. Page 19 talks about the alternate fuels.

If someone don't mind pointing me to a source of info on all these types of
things, or explaining a little about them on this list please do. I am
afraid of gasoline heaters in a confined space. I have burned too many
things with it. I like oily fuels. They are harder to burn and don't blow
up so easily.

Again, it know I have seen reference to fuel fired heaters for M35's and so
forth. I have dismissed any concern about these things in the past because
I just couldn't imagine having an open flame in the cab or bed of a truck.
I know explosions are a part of combat, but in a moving vehicle or tent
sounds bad.

Thanks for indulging me. I plan to put some of my "surplus" goods on ebay
soon. I do wish someone would have an alternative way to sell things that
would provide a third party with things like feed back. In fact why don't
one of you computer savvy guys setup a site just for us MV nuts and
collectors to exchange goods on with a small fee for your trouble.

Joe Trapp