Re: [MV] You Paid What for an M1010?

From: Neil (m1028a3@toadmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 22 2004 - 18:55:37 PST

Sonny,
    In Maryland, I pay a "use" tax on a vehicle (in lieu of sales tax) when
I register/title it. A new/used car is taxed on registration, not purchase.
Many neighboring states have reciprocal agreements with MD, so they don't
charge you tax either, if you are a MD resident. But, if I buy a vehicle
from GL (even if it is located in MD), I pay the sales tax for the state
where it resides, then I pay the MD tax on it when I title it in my name (If
I can even title it with GL's B.S. paperwork).
    Not all states have this issue, but I know several do. GL says it's
perfectly legal and the states gets their tax money, but try to tell that to
a DMV employee who wants to collect it (since that's their job)! It's really
fun... Just another reason to pay less, not more, to GL for their
vehicles....

    --Neil