Re: [MV] All rubber tracks on tanks?

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Mon Nov 22 2004 - 21:04:23 PST

Hi Jack,

>Anybody ever hear of all rubber tracks on an assault
>vehicle? Sures seems like a good idea if you need
>that kind of traction.

Closest thing I can think of are the tracks on a Haaglunds BV-206. Not
100% rubber, but closer to that than a tradition metal track.

There are distinct disadvantages to all rubber tracks. First, they can't
take the load of a heavy AFV. At least that would be my strong guess.
Second, continuous tracks SUCK if you are putting the vehicle in an
environment where the track has a decent chance of damage or being
thrown. Ever tried to change to get one back on track? And what happens
if it suffers a minor break? Total replacement.

Having said that, the advances that have been made in all rubber tracks
are pretty amazing.

Steve