Re: [MV] [MVlist] Re: [MV] Semper Fi

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Wed Nov 24 2004 - 11:11:04 PST

Bruce,

Have faith in the system. An early tactic of the insurgents was to ram
into checkpoints or otherwise get into one and detonate a bomb. So our
guys established a no tolerance policy for non-complying vehicles. If
you recall our guys killed a whole bunch of innocents, including a family
or two, at various checkpoints early on. The reason? They Iraqis had
not quite caught onto the concept of "be careful around soldiers with 2
hours of sleep who just buried their dead that morning". Wee shared some
of the blame for this. Innocents were killed, incidents investigated,
SOPs changed, no soldiers charged.

I don't know which column this Marine's actions fall into, but it should
be investigated and the chips fall where they fall. This soldier is
innocent until proven guilty, but in order to do that this has to be
investigated. Isn't like all of our soldiers are acting the way they
should (instances of outright murder, prisoner abuse, looting, etc.
documented and disciplined).

Steve