Re: [MV] Re; Synchros

From: JoeYoungInc@aol.com
Date: Thu Nov 25 2004 - 03:45:12 PST

>I always double clutch between 3 and 4 in the M35 diesel

This could be a case of a worn 3-4 synchro, unless your're
shifting too fast. I've encountered nice and tight trans
that would not allow going into a gear rapidly while the
sync was matching gear speed.
The syncs in my MB are well worn and the only way to shift
it without grinding is to double clutch.
My semi had a Road Ranger non-sync transmission. Uphill,
downhill, loaded, empty or bob tailing didn't matter; I
never used the clutch except starting off and stopping.
I could almost speed shift it, but a 5-speed Mack I drove
without clutching required allowing the engine to drop
almost to idle in neutral before hitting the next higher
gear. The Road Ranger had a five hundred rpm spread
between gears, so coming out of a gear at about 2200 rpm,
I'd slip into the next gear at 1700, though I only looked
at the tach a couple of times, out of curiosity. Drove by
ear. The only time I encountered gear grinding was
when I was learning to shift clutchless. It didn't like
double clutching, shifted best without clutchin'. Some
M35A2 trucks I had shifted best when double clutched.
One of the main problems I've often seen is shifting the
M35 diesels too fast, not allowing time for the syncs to
do their job.
Joe Young