Re: [MV] basic M35 winch questions

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Thu Nov 25 2004 - 05:21:44 PST

Marc, I'll take a shot at a couple of these. I think the 10,000# rating is
conservative. It's at about that point that the shear pin shears. If one needs
more pull rig a 2 or 3 part line. As far as the shear pin itself, I find it as
a fusible link. With anything more that that you can get more power but the
next item in line that breaks will be more expensive and might hurt someone.
The actual alloy has been discussed many times and I don't think a definitive
answer was ever reached. I've never tried to figure line speed but I know that
1st gear low range on the truck is about equal to low speed on the winch
depending on how mcuh cable is on the drum. I've used my winch on my deuce for a few
recovery operations as well as loading inop vehicles on trailers. Have used
it to lift an M103A3 trailer up on another trailer via a BIG tree and snatch
block. I can't recall the designated snatch block rating but 8 tons comes to
mind. I have some original snatch blocks for display but when I actually use the
winch, I use some Holmes snatch blocks that I've had forever. I've had them
since new and know that the side plates have never been compromised. When you
get into winching operations there are bunches of safety things to think about.
Just use your eyes and ears. Generally is something is about to give, you
will hear things going away. Might I suggest obtaining a copy of FM20-22. Its
Recovery and Field Expediants. More reading than you thought possible on recovery
techniques.
Kenny