Re: [MV] [armyradios] Group Bidding

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sun Nov 28 2004 - 20:09:23 PST

Sonny,

Where have you been living for the last year? It's been frontline news,
which is a surprise since the media tends to not talk much about news
worthy issues. If this was going on under Clinton I expect you'd already
be very aware of this.

>Please furnish proof that Haliburton has lost Millions.

"Lost" is not the right word since the money was "stolen" and therefore
someone at Halliburton knows exactly where it went. Fraud is a lot
different than mismanagement.

>When did this happen and were they found guilty?

It's been going on since their work in the Balkans, but specifically
since last year with respect to Iraq. With this Congress (i.e. the ones
currently attempting rewriting their own ethics laws to cover their
leadership's crimes) and White House (co-run by someone who has a
financial interest in Halliburton), I'm not sure how "guilty" they will
be found (they did just settle with SEC for accounting fraud, BTW), but
it looks like they can't keep the lid on it much longer.

As for "proof", although I generally think it is a bad idea to treat
stuff from Fox as '"fact", I'll go with them this time 'round because I
know you think they are "fair & balanced". First is from October of 2003
(2003, not 2004) when the story first started to break:

<http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,100202,00.html>

More recently, i.e. this month:

<http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,139730,00.html>

Report on interview with whistleblower who points at far more fundamental
fraud. In this article "the FBI [has] expanded a criminal probe into
allegations Halliburton overcharged the government for fuel, adding
questions about whether the Bush administration improperly awarded
business in Iraq and the Balkans to Halliburton without bidding.":

<http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,139555,00.html>

And this bit from the above article "In a related development, the
inspector general reviewing the spending of U.S. funds in Iraq is
recommending the Army consider withholding 15 percent of Halliburton's
money on future contracts to address allegations the company has not
documented all of the work it has been paid for in the past."

BTW, go to Google and type in "Halliburton, fraud" and you'll find
170,000 other links listed to check out if you so choose. "Halliburton,
overcharging" turns up an additional 19,400).

Steve