M1A

From: Stu Ellis (stuinnh@mvnut.us)
Date: Tue Nov 30 2004 - 11:16:12 PST

Thanx to all for your help! I finally got it off. I did what Springfield
Armory said in the following email and it worked when nothing else did!

<Stu:
What you are describing is normal. With a new M1A, the op rod notch has not
worn at all, and the op rod will probably not come out by hand.
When the rear of the op rod is aligned with the disassembly notch, the lug
on the op rod (the thicker portion where the bolt roller rides) will be
lined up with the stripper clip guide on the receiver. At this point you
can take a flat head screwdriver and (after wrapping the tip in duct tape or
a rag to protect the rifle's finish) pry outwards on the op rod, leveraging
off of the stripper clip guide. This should pop the op rod out of place.
As the rifle is disassembled more, it will become easier to remove the op
rod.

Respectfully,
Adam Jones
Customer Service Representative