Re: [MV] MVs On Train Pics

From: Rick v100 (rickv100@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 07:51:45 PST

Larry,

Depends on the time period and location you are
talking about.

I believe that the Russian railroads used a broad
gauge (wider then standard) as a means to prevent
foreign equipment from running on the Russian
railsystem. I seem to remember a picture of a German
WWII railcar setup to run on the Russian railsystem
that required that it be lifted and a wider set of
axles placed on it so that it could work on the rail
system.

Also don't forget that the Great Western Railroad in
the UK used broad gauge in the mid-1800's.

Rick