is it new barrel time?

From: everette (194cbteng@bellsouth.net)
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 22:56:19 PST

Do not take this as written in stone but I have read somewhere that repair
ships carried spare barrels for the smaller guns. Back in olden times
(1958-59) I was stationed in DC, for some reason I had to go to Washington
Naval Yard and they had in storage replacement barrels for modern
battleships

Did you ever know how big gun barrels are made? I have been told they had a
spinning mold that they poured the molten steel in as it was spinning and
then when it cooled they bored out center, logic being the heavier stronger
steel was forced to the outside as it spun.

 Now feature this - a mold large enough to cast a 16 inch rifle barrel for a
battleship - spinning while tons of molten steel were poured in it.

Much less the lathe it took to bore it out.

 However I do remember few years back a DRMO had a lathe for sale with 50
foot bed, 72 inch centers, do not remember weight but I do remember it was
in 5 pieces.

The DRMO in Memphis had a "upsetter" for sale few years back, a device that
tank turret was placed in and struck with a giant hammer to "align"
molecules in steel. "Hammer" was driven by hydraulics and bid request
stated there were a few thousand gallons of oil in it.,