IHC M-5H-6 paint information (may pertain to other WWII USMC vehicles), and a question or two

From: Colin M Rush (chesnimnus@juno.com)
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 14:47:35 PST

I received a note from a Mr. Al Houde, the Assistant Curator of Ordnance
with the National Museum of the Marine Corps in Quantico, Virginia. He
was answering my questions about history on our M-5H-6 truck. One of the
questions I had was about the paint color, and numbering scheme. For
those that are interested, below is his answer.

"Dear Mr. Rush:

This is in response to your inquiry requesting information on a USMC
M-5H-6 Truck, serial number 25598. My apologies for the delay in
responding.

Unfortunately, the Marine Corps Museum does not have any records for
vehicles except those in our collection. Therefore, information
regarding year of manufacture, and areas or theatres served in cannot be
provided. However I can provide guidelines for proper painting and
marking.

During World War II in combat theaters, most USMC vehicles had no
markings at all. This has been determined by examination of many
wartime photographs. Heavier trucks, such as the M-5H-6, have been
observed with registration
numbers only on doors. Trucks such as this were painted Marine Corps
Green, also known as Marine Corps Green #23. A suitable civilian color
would be a lusterless Forest Green.

During WWII, the registration number was frequently preceded by the
abbreviation "USMC". The abbreviation was often the same size as the
registration number. It is generally believed that the "USMC" and the
registration number were painted in a lusterless yellow during WWII.

Letters and numerals were of block type, height being 1,2,3, or 4 inches,
the use of the largest size practical in the available space.

Thank you for your interest in Marine Corps history. If I can be of
assistance in other matters, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely yours,

Al Houde
Assistant Curator of Ordnance
National Museum of the Marine Corps
Quantico, Virginia"

Now, according to another guy I know that has a 1952 IHC TravelAll that
was used by the Air Force, I can ask for a paint chip chart from the
Department of Defense by faxing a request for a MIL-SPEC-XXX. Below is
the text of his message.

"The paint chips came in response to a fax I sent asking to forward
MIL-STD-595. I followed this advice I found on the 'net. 'I finally
found out that you can request a free copy of this spec (your tax dollars
at work) by sending a fax to the DODSSP (Dept. of Defense Single Stock
Point) in Philadelphia, PA. The number is (215) 697-1462. Just fax a
sheet of paper with your name and mailing address on it, and state that
you want a copy of Federal Standard 595. It took a couple weeks to
receive it in the mail. The DODSSP also has a phone number (215)
697-6257, but if you call them they'll just tell you to send a fax....you
can't order by phone apparently.' Worked for me!"

My question is: To get the paint chip charts for Marine Corps Green #23
and for Lusterless Yellow, do I ask DODSSP for MIL-SPEC-595, or do I ask
for a different MIL-SPEC, or do I just send a letter asking for the chip
chart for #23 Green and Lusterless Yellow? If there is a different
MIL-SPEC for these colors, does anyone know what it is?

-Colin Rush
International Scouts and Trucks of Oregon
MVCC of Oregon #731

Juno Gift Certificates
Give the gift of Internet access this holiday season.
http://www.juno.com/give