Re: [MV] Huey usage

From: Ed Kirkley (mojoedd@bellsouth.net)
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 16:38:02 PST

A few years back when I was with Airwest Offshore Helicopters in Texas we
bought several UH-1s from Wilco Aviation in Alabama. We trucked them on a
flat bed trailer back to Arcola, (where our base of operations was), and
converted them to 205 configurations. It involved a ton of stuff that had
to be done. The tail rotor had to be moved to the opposite side, all chain
drives removed and drive shafts and solid controls installed. After that
work was done and we test flew the aircraft they were inspected by our FAA
Inspectors and released for passenger carrying flight for hire. We also
used them for long line lifts and anything else a helicopter was able to do.
We had "N" numbers and went by Bell's Maintenance program for the 205. I
really miss those days a lot. After coming home from my second tour it was
almost like being back in the service but without all the hassles and the
pay was a LOT better!

Ed
A&P, Commercial fixed & rotor wing