G749 GMC Carb rebuild questions

From: Santoken (santoken@bright.net)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 20:14:39 PST

List,

AT the beginning of summer, I had my M215 running sweet. When you tried
to start it, you didn't even hear the starter motor run because the
engine seems to start running first. It started and ran that nicely.

After sitting all summer, I started it to move it and it barely started
and ran horribly. It was running entirely too rich. After I got it
moved, I tore into the carb. Yeah, it was running WAY too rich. Seemed
that the bowl was leaking fuel down into the carb just sitting there,
not doing anything. I decide to do a rebuild.

After paying the horrible money for a sub-standard kit, it still does
the same thing. I have had that carb on and off so many times I can't
count.

Is there anyone out there familiar with that Holley that could give me a
few pointers? This is the most bastard carb I've ever seen and since
the carb kit didn't come with any literature, I could really use some
outside knowledge on it.

After running the idle mixture screws bottom, and dropping the float all
the way down...it runs OK...just ok. When I back the screws out, it
starts faltering. Adjusting the float does the same. When the float is
set to proper height, and the air-horn off, I can see fuel dribble into
the carb...I can't really see where it's coming from, tho.

The idle circuit appears to be fine since the idle mixtures screws seem
to effect its idle quality. The bowl is not cracked and the power valve
is functioning properly. The kit that I got came with new metering
orifice tubes but they look nothing like the old ones, have these been
redesigned to repair some known problem? The old tubes had the base
crushed shut, the new ones did not...and the orifice on the new ones is
MUCH smaller...surely effecting the air bleed.

Has anyone else ran across this same problem?

Thanks,

Kent