[MV] CUCV : Fast Idle & Glow Plugs

From: Ted Hintopoulos (hint@northnet.org)
Date: Tue Dec 14 2004 - 07:55:38 PST

Back in August I had asked about the durability of the AC-13G plugs,
old batches and recent production.

Guess you helped answer my question, Caleb.
Longer then about 12 seconds or so with 14V on them, and up they go.
I still have a 3 year old set that can handle it, but nothing recent.
Delco changed factories or specs.

Anyway, I promised Glenn some numbers regarding current
draw of the AC-13G and AC-60G plugs.
Using the stock CUCV system, the AC-13G, all 8 plugs, draw about 55 Amps.
The AC-60G plugs, same setup, draw 90 Amps.
As the plugs heat up, these currents drop.

Keep in mind, if you meter the voltage at a plug, the AC-13Gs will show
about 14
while the AC-60Gs will each have about 10 volts.

There's alot more to this story, but I kept it short.

On the pump solenoids, fast idle and the cold advance; a side bar.
Stock, off the shelf GM, temp switches, the one by cylinder 8, only lasted
me about 2 months. Went through 2 of them.
I checked and compared the current draw of the two
soleniods that the switch controls and found each fine.
My solution; install a relay.

Good luck Caleb!