Re: [MV] Army Rank Question

From: Thomas M McHugh (tmmchugh@msn.com)
Date: Tue Dec 14 2004 - 13:19:21 PST

Jack,

Use the initials SFC E-7 Sgt First Class.

As far as being reduced in rank, that should never happen, but could be done
with an "Article 15", "Article 32" (Company) or by a "Summary" (Battalion)
or "Special Courts Martial" (Battalion or higher). I am not conversant on
the Navy Chain of Command but the discipline system was the same, during
time shore leave.

Rank in the states quite rarely will be reduced. Rank has fluctuated
quite drastically in a combat theater, usually around the time of R&R or
down time. That is when individuals party a little too much & get verbal
or physical once too often.

During WW II & Korea it was not uncommon for NCOs to go up & down like
clockwork. They were good NCOs but overly stressed & blew off steam,
punched out somebody, got busted & were promoted when back on the
battlefield.

I served from 1951 to 1954 & some of the SR NCOs that were in our unit had
been reduced in rank in Korea several times. Most were fully promoted
prior to returning to the states.

Tom McHugh
 State Commander Korean War Veterans Assoc.
1952 M38A1
MVPA, MTA