CUCV Swelled glow plugs - Finished!

From: Caleb Pal - MilVeh (m1009@defcon-3.net)
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 23:05:19 PST

Hey all!

Well this morning at 0130 the job was complete. I had all 8 glow plugs
swelled inside the head, AC 13G's. I ended up taking out the injectors,
breaking off the silver part, it was just barely clearing the edge of the
hole the glow plugs go in, popped vice grips on it, and broke it off. I took
a used 11G, and very carefully pushed the tip in until it was about to drop
into the pre combustion chamber. Then I took medical forcepts(sp?) and
carefully clamped onto the tip, and extracted it through the injector hole.
They were very swelled, and as they were just replaced 3 weeks ago, still
very strong. No way they would ever come out through the little hole. Did
all 8, on the drivers side had to remove the transmission shift linkage to
get the the last hole against the firewall. Thank god I had steady hands. On
the passenger side ended up pulling the aft battery tray out, and had my
brother weld the foot back on, it cracked and was totally broken, I think
its been that way since I bought the vehicle. Carefully extracted the tips
on the passenger side, put everything back together, didn't bother bleeding
the injectors, there was residual WD-40 that was in the cylinders, it burt
off in a revving cloud of black smoke. that happened twice, it died after
each run up. It finally fired off a bit rough. Let it run, still was running
rough, and where the 2 halves of the injectors screw together on the drivers
forward injector was slightly loose, and was pissing diesel out. Shut it
down, tightened it, and all is well and running great. I don't think any
chips of anything made it in the cylinder, as I broke it on the totally
opposite end, and cleaned it carefully. Drove it today, 8 seconds on the
manual switch and it seems to fire off fine. Starts better than ever. I also
replaced the glow plug relay on the firewall, and the pushbutton in the
dash, in case that was a problem. I think I am going to hook a buzzer to the
side the glow plugs are hooked to on the relay, that way whenever they are
on, it will buzz. That way if something fails in the on position, the idiot
buzzer will go off. Glad everything is back and running, thanks to everyone
for thier help and suggestions. Now for the disclaimer :). The way I removed
the glow plugs is probably not the best, and probably not the worst.
Remvoing the tips is very risky without proper lighting and very steady
hands. On the rear 2 on each side, its hard to see in, and can be very
risky. I got lucky. Very lucky. Try at your own risk!

Thanks again!

Caleb