Re: [MV] Cold weather trip

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@arrl.net)
Date: Sat Dec 18 2004 - 05:54:53 PST

Bjorn,

         Welcome to Winter driving in big rigs. Regarding your comment
re:"Discovered that the hour meter didn't work right. Registered 2.7 hrs
for a 4.8 hr trip. Never noticed that before...". I would be willing to bet
the house there is nothing wrong with the "hour Meter" as they are commonly
called but they aren't really hour meters on Military trucks because they
are mechanically driven wheras a true hour meter is electrically run. The
meter on all Deuce's keeps track of the revolutions per minute IE: RPM. I
think if you look carefully at the small type on the bottom front of the
tachometer it will read like my civilian truck something like each number =
100,000 revolutions. My new civilian truck is a 2004 Mack Granite tri-axle
Dump ruck and has an electronic tach and even it dosen't keep good
time......I still hafta set the clock on the broadcast radio to get
accurate time.
         Welll gotta go time to replace the flywheel and starter on my M-1009.

Jim

At 07:04 AM 12/17/2004, Bjorn Brandstedt wrote:
>Some notes from a 45-mile trip to the sawmill and back with morning temp
>of 11 deg F:
>
>1) Started in less than 15 seconds. Fast revving thanks to batteries in
>top condition (coutesy of Chargetek 500). No starting aids. Rotella 15-40 oil.
>2) Tire pressures at start: 65 psi (1100's)
>3) Warm-up time: about 20 minutes using "winter" grill cover.
>4) During the first 20 minutes or so, the ride was a bit "lumpy" due to
>flat parts on the tires from sitting in the cold.
>5) with grill cover "window" open, the engine temperature ranged from 165
>to 177 depending on wether driving downhill or uphill. I have a DVM hooked
>up with a thermocouple for accurate readings.
>6) Loaded with about 4,000 lb of lumber (GVW about 20,000 lb) there was
>very little difference in performance compared to driving with the crane alone.
>7) Driving with the grill cover closed, the temperature ranged from 175 to
>185 (Downhill/Uphill driving).
>8) Tire temp at return: 73 psi
>9) Using "bikini" top was just fine. It was sunny so the cab stayed warm.
>10) Speed ranged from about 30 uphill and 55 or so downhill. Pulled over
>one time to let a tractor trailer pass. (2-lane road).
>
>Discovered that the hour meter didn't work right. Registered 2.7 hrs for a
>4.8 hr trip. Never noticed that before...
>
>Bjorn
>MVPA 19212
>Meadows of Dan, Virginia
>1968 M35A2C w/crane