My 1009 repair saga

From: Stu Ellis (stuinnh@mvnut.us)
Date: Sun Dec 19 2004 - 16:54:25 PST

I bought my Blazer for a guy that bought it from a police dept. on Martha's
Vineyard. ($4000) Needed all tie rods etc. for steering. ($138) Bad trans,
so bought nos one from Parramore in Florida for $750 & $166 shipping. Was
very hard to start in summer after sitting day or more. Winter was
impossible to start without block heater plugged in.
1. Put check valve in fuel line to stop any drain back. No difference in
starting.
2. Replaced mechanical fuel pump with electric one , so that it would start
priming when key was in on position. $39? (NO CHANGE)
3. Wait light stopped working, so replaced solenoid, controller card, temp
sensor. No change, so went manual. $170?
4. Replaced glow plugs and bought torque wrench to do it from sears and
followed directions. $140
5. Still wouldn't start, so had towed to diesel shop. Then told I snapped
off all the glow plugs top parts with torque wrench so all had to be drilled
out. $1000
6. Drove home and saw puddle of oil under truck. High pressure oil lines.
$150
7.Still have problems starting. Nothing so far has changed that.
8. Found out about fuel pressure switch and ordered new one, $10
9. 5 years now starts great even at 5 degrees without block heater, so good
my wife (a nurse) takes it to drive to work in storms of 1-2 feet of snow to
Boston. BTW- Great in snow!
10. I won't bother to talk about the PS pump, wiper motor, 2 alt. rebuilt,
and heater fan. $120?

I also replaced the heater ($35) in the fuel filter base (no change) before
the fuel pressure switch.

REPLACE THE FUEL PRESSURE SWITCH FIRST! $10

              "Stu"
Southern New Hampshire, USA
      "Live Free Or Die"

MVPA #14790