5-Ton Air Brake Conversion

From: Mark J. Blair, NF6X (nf6x@nf6x.net)
Date: Mon Dec 20 2004 - 14:17:41 PST

I've often contemplated replacing the brakes on my M543A2 5-ton wrecker
with conventional air brakes and spring parking brakes. I don't entirely
trust that single parking brake on a little ol' deuce, and I think it's
really inadequate on a 34,000 pound truck in hilly terrain, even if it's
in good shape and properly adjusted.

Do any of y'all happen to know if there are any standard, off-the-shelf
air brake components that would bolt on to the axles and hubs in place
of the hydraulic brake backing plates? I just don't have the experience
with civilian trucks to know whether the axles and hubs are unusual, or
have common bolt patterns and dimensions that are compatible with parts
for common civvy trucks.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x@nf6x.net>
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/nf6x/