Re: [MV] M35 Head Gasket Questions

From: GOTaM35 (GOTaM35@joetrapp.com)
Date: Mon Dec 20 2004 - 18:48:29 PST

The other guy wrote:

> Which brings up a few more questions...
>
> How tough is it going to be to replace the gaskets?
> What's this going to cost me?
> Do I need to have the valves done and get the heads resurfaced at the
> same time?

Well here's a story that may, or may not help. I am hopped up on cold
medicine right now but I'll give this typing thing a try.

The head gasket blew on my deuce multi-fuel and I replaced it myself. I
bought a new style gasket, that's the one's with out the fire ring. About
$150. I think that's the desirable ones. I was in a hurry and didn't want
to re-do anything else. I just wanted to get the truck back on the road for
my first parade.

I just removed the heads individually. Had to remove all the intakes and so
forth. Made a "special" wrench so I didn't have to remove the injectors to
get to that pesky head bolt (nut actually). Cleaned the heads a little.
Was careful not to hit the injectors. Didn't use any sealant. The gasket
came with those instructions. Sat them back on (wear a back brace for this
part) and bolted everything up. Torqued them to specs and in the proper
order.

I have driven this truck to the Aberdeen show twice since then. That's 1000
miles round trip. The first year I didn't cut the truck off for almost 12
hours on the way home. I have towed a 5 ton truck on a trailer 140 miles
too. Apparently my heads were not damaged or warped. It took 10 hours to
do the job. I would not encourage anyone to do such a sloppy job, but I
guess the "I did it and it's still going strong" story sort of does, aye?

And I had a water issue. The old style gaskets had a grove in them and this
allowed a chunk to blow at the rear on the water jacket. I don't think I
had any compression issues. I did take the heads up to a mechanic I know
and got his opinion too before I put them back on. I think he said, "hey,
it's your money, do what you want".

Good luck,
Joe Trapp