Re: [MV] HMMWV tires and rims.

From: Mark J. Blair, NF6X (nf6x@nf6x.net)
Date: Tue Dec 21 2004 - 20:40:06 PST

Glenn Shaw wrote:
> I agree. They work OK. I have used them myself with radials on a light
> trailer. The problem is the rims are only rated for 25 psi.
[...]
[...]
> Tire pressure should be 35 PSI on both radial and bias; any less
> and you will have "square" tires and premature tire wear and failure.

The 8-bolt rims have their maximum pressure rating (30 PSI, if I
remember correctly) stamped on them. Personally, I don't think it's wise
to exceed that pressure.

I have bias tires and 8-bolt rims on my HMMWV and 3/4-ton trailer. I may
consider replacing them with radial tires and 12-bolt rims once I wear
out the current set of tires.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x@nf6x.net>
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/nf6x/