Trip stats

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 23 2004 - 09:57:12 PST

Yesterday's Meadows of Dan,VA - Asheville, NC roundtrip stats:

Total miles: 414
Weather: Partly cloudy to overcast and about 50 deg, late afternoon drizzle.

MPG loaded (GVW=21,000 est): 8.2
MPG empty (GVW=16,200): 9.3
Top speed: 60 mph
Average speed: 44 mph
Tire pressure at trip start: 66 psi (all), plus or minus 1
Tire pressure at destination: 72 psi (all), plus or minus 1
(digital pressure gauge)

Front tire wear: After about 700 miles, the tires still look brand new. No
signs of un-even wear since removing the interaxle drive shaft in the rear.

The highways were crowded with (holiday?) traffic. Trucks and cars were
constantly passing. Now and then I'd look down at the hood of the deuce and
got the impression that the truck was really happy to be out there. Really
eager to show what it can do.
There were two long (7-8 mile) mountain decents, one where the speed limit
coming East on Hwy40 from Asheville was 35 mph for all trucks. I kept the
deuce in 4th and applied the brakes from time to time. Tested the exhaust
brake and it slowed the vehicle in the same fashion. I was concerned about
the bad return spring in the butterfly valve mechanism and didn't pay
attention to the back pressure gauge. It took, perhaps 15 seconds to open
back up, but it seems to work like it's supposed to. The spring thing is on
my to-do list.
I could have loaded the truck more, but wanted to be sure to be within
limits for the anticipated stops at the scales that didn't happen. All 4
weigh stations were closed.

A couple of items have been moved up on my to-do list: Right side rear view
mirror must be improved and night time instument illumination leaves a lot
to be desired.

Again, I appreciate all the good advise from you all. Thank you!

I have an appointment this afternoon for a physical...

Happy holidays,
Bjorn