Re: [MV] Emailing: MVC-005F

From: noel shelley (noel@shelley1722.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Mon Dec 27 2004 - 03:10:47 PST

Hi,
     Right ! Lets start at the beginning !
USE WIRE HT LEAD not that horrible carbon string stuff .
Connect to the coil top and a plug connected to an earth point where you can
SEE the spark . Now get someone to turn the engine over and observe the
individual sparks . Do you get good fat sparks ? If yes then the electronics
are OK , if no then it`s the coil or the box of tricks !
Now reconnect the centre lead to the dist and the four plug leads and with
the plugs on the block turn over again , GOOD sparks ? IF no then cap is
duff , or the HT lead is gone . JUST for test TV antennae lead can be used
to replace dud HT . Initially a track on a dist cap may be invisible ! VERY
CLOSE inspection with a magnifying glass may reveal what APPEARS to be a
tiny crack . Scraping with a knife will remove the carbonised bakelite and
all SHOULD be well for a while .
Damp conditions and Electronic systems are a common reason for failure !
Failing HT leads put a big strain on the cap by not letting the HT away , so
it starts to track !
I once had a argument with a fellow about the CRACK in a dist cap , ONLY
when I made the crack disappear by scraping would he believe what I said !
Then there was the engine that ran better with one plug disconnected ------
again it was tracking !

     All good fun ----- and helps to keep the brain active Noel