More fun with my new 5 ton.

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Dec 27 2004 - 16:22:32 PST

As you recall, I had a flat on an inside dual and
started to have a leak from the right rear
half-shaft (on the outside). Today both problems
were fixed. I took the truck to a place just down
the road that charged me $25 a tire to pull the
wheel(s). The little Hispanic guy knew what he
was doing as he broke the bead in nothing flat.
He didn't use a cage, so I stood way back and let
him do his thing. We ended up checking the air in
the other tires and realized that one of the
tubes had shifted at some point (inside right
rear). So that meant dismounting that wheel/tire
and solving that issue (another $25). The
mechanic was meticulous in his work and didn't
rush things. As they sell Truck tires there, I'll
probably go back for tires when I need some new
ones. (Wilkinson Tire in Tucker, Ga on Lavista
Road)

While we were on that side of the vehicle, I got
to looking closely at the leaking half-shaft
seal. One of the bolts looked loose....lo and
behold they all were. So I dug out a socket set
and snugged them all down as best as I could. The
leak appears to have stopped. There was a tiny
bit of spatter from what was left on the hub, but
that appears to be just residue. That was easy.

I spent the rest of the afternoon oiling things
in the cab in-so-far as bolts and pins for the
seats.

Oh, one neat thing I did a few days ago was I
mount a second tool box on the right side above
the existing tool box. It took 3 holes to be
drilled to get 3 holes through the top of the
lower tool box as mounting points. The tool box
was one off of a 900 series reside truck at Ted's
Trucks. It had an angle iron frame around the
base to make the chest more rigid. I used that as
a buffer between the existing tool chest and the
new one. This provides plenty of space for my
hand tools lower down, plus a place to store some
parts, fluids, chain and a number of other stuff
in the upper bin.

The upper bin had to be staggered back and
slightly in from the lower unit to clear the ISO
lock pin and the overhang of the cab. The
resulting step actually makes for a nice method
of climbing up into the bed.

Now I need to figure out where to put the pioneer
tool stowage bracket. I might have to contrive
some brackets to hang it above the fuel tank on
the left side like on deuces.

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)