Re: [MV] NDCC tubeless tire? Why not?

From: GOTaM35 (GOTaM35@joetrapp.com)
Date: Tue Dec 28 2004 - 18:19:10 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Gill" <rmgill@mindspring.com>

"Realistically, what do these rims take and how
much would a set cost me? Can you get them in
Super Single sizes too? What' price there?"

Here's what I researched this evening. In our pile of "scrap" rims we have
all 22.5" with rim width including 8", 9" and 12". The 12" is what the
"floatation" tires are on. These are the tires you see on a lot of dump
truck front ends out here.

The 22.5" rims do not have a "bead" like most other tires. They are angled
to the point that if you loose the air and they go flat they often break
down off the rim. That's why we have a "cheetah" tire blow up thing. It's
just an air tank with a 2" ball valve for quick release. I would think this
fact would make them undesirable to deflate for off roading. I guess you
have to ask yourself how serious an off roader you are in one of these
monsters.

The floatation tires we have on one of our truck are about 44" high with a
tread width of 14". They are 425/65 R 22.5 in size. I think a set of these
would look great on a singled out deuce or 5 ton. I think the 5 ton would
take the regular 10 bolt rim but the deuce would be a killer. I think I
priced some wide deuce rims (22.5) once and they where several hundred
dollars each :-(

Most of our trucks have 11 R 22.5 tires on 8" wide rims. We have some that
are low profile that are closer to the 9.00 x 20's on the deuce. We have
all these scrap rims because we have put aluminum rims on several trucks for
weigh purposes. We put aluminum rims on the flotation tires because one was
cracked and the aluminum was actually cheaper that the steel. Go figure.

I would bet you (Ryan) could find someone in Atlanta that has the a pile of
steel rims cheap if you look around. We run dump trucks and I am sure
anyone with a lot of trucks might be a good source to look. A junk yard
would be a good one too. I had thought
about offering these rims to the list, but I have become greedy in my old
age and now that we have a 5 ton we may put some on it. Besides, its the
tires that will kill you, price wise.

The question of the day is: When the military singles out a 5 ton do they
flip the hubs or just mount the rims up backwards?

Joe Trapp