Re: [MV] M105A2 hard cover?

From: Sonny Heath (sonny@defuniak.com)
Date: Wed Dec 29 2004 - 18:48:52 PST

I was assigned to the 78th Ordinance Company in Wurtzburg, Germany in 1965
as the Motor Sergeant and the company was using a five ton tractor (M52) and
a stake and platform trailer to transport unit soldiers to work and back
twice a day. I saw it as an unsafe practice so I went to the commander and
explained that we should discontinue the practice and utilize our M35 cargo
trucks for the purpose and he agreed and we made the change. I saw it as an
accident looking for a place to happen and being in charge of transportation
I talked him in to changing the policy. Before me the unit had an acting
Motor Sergeant working out of his military occupational speciality, not
trained and refused to read and learn the proper way to run a motorpool.

I didn't say the practice was never used, rather said I didn't consider it
safe. I would be willing to bet that in those places where an open trailer
was used to transport troops standing up, there were busses sitting in the
transportation motorpool, whatsha bet?

Sonny