Re: [MV] M35 hitch for regular trailer

From: GOTaM35 (GOTaM35@joetrapp.com)
Date: Wed Dec 29 2004 - 19:19:31 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrick Jankowiak" <recycler@swbell.net>

> I have started to build a drop-hitch (term?) for the M35. Removed
> the pintle hook assy which is attached with two very tight 1 1/8"
> bolts (and a huge maybe 2.5" bolt in back).

If I may be allowed to comment on this subject (I have to post more than
once a day, I feel hoggish) I moved the hitch on my M35, mostly so I could
pull our civilian trailers. The hitch was also in the way of my dump
hinges. I did not use the M35 hitch though, I used a civilian 10 ton hitch.
The new hitch will accept the military rings, but the standard m35 hitch is
too wide for the ring on a civilian 5 ton lunette to go over. I found that
out the hard way which led to loading my jeep wrangler in the back of the
M35 instead of towing it with the tow bar I made, but that's another story.

I installed a hitch on my brothers new International truck a few weeks ago.
It was a common hitch with welds below the frame. It's what most people do
out this way. If you want to install one with out welding to the frame I
saw one on a M35 that bolted to the holes for the standard hitch and had a
piece that angled back to the frame and was bolted to the frame a foot or so
back. I think it was military and I have seen lots of similar hitches on 5
ton trucks.

And those 3/4 bolts don't do much anyway. The big nut on the back is what
holds the hitch on. The 3/4 bolts just hold the two big "washers" in place.
The civilian 20 ton hitch I installed has 6, 1/2" bolts that do the same
thing.

Joe Trapp
Blythewood, SC