CUCV M1009 spring hanger?

From: Mike (michael@tsixroads.com)
Date: Fri Dec 31 2004 - 18:08:37 PST

I spent the day working on my newest MVs today. I bought a pair of M1009 residue from GL. One has the front axle and one has the rear axle. I had planned to move the rear axle to the other truck today but ran into a problem I thought I would pose to the list.

When they removed the rear axle they took a cutting torch to the rear front spring hangers. This is part 15 on page 339 of 984 (fig. 142) in TM 9-2320-289-34P 01 May 1992. These are a bowl shaped piece of stamped steel. Apparently they couldn't get a wrench on the back side of the bolt so they cut off the bottom side of the bowl. It looks to be about even with the bottom of the spring. My question is do you think it will be too weak and need to be replaced? It is mounted with six rivits. They also cut the parking brake bracket (part 13?) and parking brake cable. They did unbolt the spring hanger bolts and shocks.

At first glance it looked like they did more damage removing the front axle from the other truck. On it they didn't unbolt anything. They cut the U bolts, the shock absorbers and the putman arm (arm, steering gear, part 8 fig 128 page 308). Since these can all be unbolted form the donor truck, I am starting to think it would be easier to switch these over.

I still need to know what you think about the spring hangers. I am thinking of putting the axles from a M1010 under the 2nd truck when I get the 1st one finished.

Mike
Tishomingo, MS