Re: [MV] CCKW generator not working....any quick fix tricks ?

From: Steve & Jeannie Keith (cckw@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Jan 01 2005 - 04:38:39 PST

They had 2 different generators on the CCKWs: a 25 amp + ground and a
4- amp - ground unit. Check to see how the battery is connected. Someone
could also have connected it backwards and the ignition system woudl still
run.

The simplest thing to do is to take the FIELD wire off of the voltage
regulator.
Monitor the ammeter or better yet have a voltmeter attached to the ARMATURE
lead of the generator.

BRIEFLY touch the now disconnected FIELD wire to the BAT terminal on the
voltage regulator and monitor the voltage. If you do not get around 8 volts,
BEIEFLY touch the FIELD wire to a good ground. If you now do not get around
8 volts, there is something wrong with the generator. It may be that it
needs brushes
or that the brushes are stuck in the holders. Worst case, the generator is
in need
or replacement/rebuilding.

Hope this helps

Steve AKA Dr Deuce (with 8 CCKWs)

PS: Just a suggestion: Generators need maintenance, alternators need little.
Having
driven my primary CCKW over 50,000 miles, you will be MUCH happier with
this fine truck with a 12 volt alternator. The conversion is relatively
simple.