RE: [MV] Fire Extinguisher for M1008

From: Stu Ellis (stuinnh@mvnut.us)
Date: Sat Jan 01 2005 - 14:31:47 PST

Blackout headlight

              "Stu"
Southern New Hampshire, USA
      "Live Free Or Die"

MVPA #14790
1967 M151A1 Jeep
1964 M416 Trailer
1986 M1009 Blazer

-----Original Message-----
Of Brian Placzankis
Sent: Saturday, January 01, 2005 3:41 PM
To: Military Vehicles Mailing List
Subject: Re: [MV] Fire Extinguisher for M1008

Great!

Thanks Doug, I'll be heading to Lowe's first chance I get.

BTW, I took advantage of the wonderful 66 F warm weather in Maryland
today and got my Blackout light (the one in the grill just above the
bridge plate) working today. I don't know the proper name for this
housing, I think that someone once told me it was for maps. If anyone
on the list knows the proper term, I would be keen on learning it. As
for the condition of this light, it turns out it wasn't the bulb or the
wires. It was complete corrosion of the interior bracket and socket.
This Aurora company - could they have made it any cheaper from a
materials selection point of view? After much scraping & sanding I
finally revealed enough bare metal to make functional electrical
contacts but still overall the inside of this unit is a complete
disaster. So in the last 2 days I have restored 2 bulbs that never
worked since I purchased the truck to working condition. The other
bulb (for those keeping track) was the interior under dash light. I
must say it will be much easier to find that series 5200 lock on the
wheel chain in pitch darkness from now on.

If I can score that nice straight bed, all that will be left for me to
do is line up a good body shop to remove a few minor (but darned hard
to get to) cab dents courtesy of Mr. Forklift and fill in some tiny
rust pinholes near the lower cab corners (I'm thinking Metco Spraysteel
LS wire spray there). Then the complete repaint with MIL-DTL-64159 -
Waterborne CARC.

plaz
1985 M1008