Clear coating for MV's

From: Krogerma@aol.com
Date: Sat Jan 01 2005 - 15:54:40 PST

Hello, list:

I am doing some painting and other refurbishing on my deuce this winter and would like some suggestions about paint.

I'm not an MV purist (no hate mail, please) but I do like to keep my m35a2 work truck as close to original as practicable.

I restore a lot of equipment and one combination I've found to work well is an epoxy color coat covered with polyurethane. The epoxy seems to do well as a rust preventative and the clear coat provides ultraviolet protection as well as ultimate hardness. I've used Rustoleum products in the past and they work well.

I can get a local place to mix up epoxy to match any color, including olive drab. I would like to use something like a polyurethane clearcaot, too, but RustOleum makes only a shiny version. Anybody know where I can get a dull polyurethane that is as tough as RustOleum? We don't like shiny Army trucks, do we?

-Kurt Matis
Troy, NY