Re: [MV] Clear coating for MV's - MY REPLY

From: Krogerma@aol.com
Date: Sat Jan 01 2005 - 19:09:01 PST

Sonny:

Gosh, are you saying I would not be condemned by the purists?

What would I do, tell folks that it's painted like the versions they had in Germany in the 60's?

Gloss certainly would make the thing run cooler inside. I've got a deuce hardening kit that I'm fitting up to enclose the back that I bought from John from MOFTA (Massively Overbuilt For Typical Applications, mofta@hiiway.net). My kids and their friends ride in the back on bus seats (with seatbelts) that I got from a junked bus and I was thinking that I probably did not want to roast them next summer when I have the back mostly enclosed. When the seats are not installed in the deuce, they make nice comfortable seats for the old folks (including me, I think) at barbecues. I told my parents that

Anyway, this hardening kit thing is one of the things I was concerned about painting. It is a very cool modular metal box that installs in panel sections. It's got big lockable doors that turn a deuce into a paddy wagon, or maybe it's to protect riot police inside, I don't know. I am in the process of replacing some of the plexiglass roof panel coverings (the panels are a heavy wire mesh, like jail bars, or something, covered with plexiglass that was then painted. You figure out why they designed it that way, I can't.) that cracked with age with steel panels and reinforcing the thing a bit so I can carry heavy stuff on top of the box.

Anyway, I'll just paint the thing with gloss, maybe. Now I'm undecided....

Thanks to all the folks who wrote back with advice, though. I'm gonna look into the "dull" paints, too.

Cheers!
-Kurt Matis