Re: [MV] 24 volt to 110 converter

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 14:59:52 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Baker, George R. - Eastman" <grbaker@eastman.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 12:34 PM
Subject: [MV] 24 volt to 110 converter

> Can someone recommend a 24 volt to 110
> converter? I'm only going to run
> a computer off it so it shouldn't draw much amperage.

I noticed something interesting the other day when I was playing around with
the computers at work. Seems that an awful lot of computer UPS backup power
supplies run on two small 12V gel-cel batteries contained inside them which
are wired in series. That means 24V. Since a UPS provides nice, clean,
filtered power for your computer when the power goes out at your hous - and
does it all from a 24VDC supply - I don't see why a guy couldn't rig up a
cord to his Mil-veh batteries and run the UPS like an inverter. I've been
picking UPSeseses up at auctions with dead batteries for between $5-15, but
the 'dead battery' thing isn't a concern if you're going to rig it to run
off of your truck or what-have-you.

Anyway - a thought.