Re: [MV] Brakes on my Scout car

From: Convoy Magazine (convoymagazine@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jan 09 2005 - 05:54:44 PST

Oooh Brakes are VERY important.

New replacement cylinders shouldn't be problem (others
who are more familiar on this list can probably give
you exact info) but is a good way to go if your
current ones are beyond help. If the cylinder bores
are not pitted, a simple "re-new" kit of modern
rubbers etc may be quite adequate and less expensive.
Still, I wouldn't take a chance on brakes. All our
vehicles are big and very heavy, and very solid and
would crush a modern car (and occupants) like someone
crushing a beer tin. (hmmm, modern cars are made outta
beer tins arent they? or is it the other way round?)

As for worn linings, why take a chance!!! One thing
you want is reliable good stopping action. Getting
brakes relined should be dead easy. Most big truck
joints do it all the time. My only proviso would be to
STRONGLY indicate to them that these are "antique"
parts so they should take an extra amount of care and
not just toss them about willy nilly like they "might"
do with easily replacement newer truck stuff.

cheers