CUCV, M35 and other Info

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 22:05:16 PST

Here's something I stumbled across while looking for other somethings
utterly unrelated:

http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/feppissues.html

Basically it's a bunch of interesting articles relating to military vehicles
acquired under FEPP for Forestry use and the various add-ons, 12V
conversions and so forth that USDA Forestry has come up with. Here's a
quote from one of the pages with regard to M35 Air-O-Matic power steering
retrofits:

"Power Steering for Military 2-1/2 (M35 Series) Vehicles. (Note: Revised
contact information on 8/30/2004.)
We recently were asked if we have had experience with Air-O-Matic Power
Steering Kits developed for retrofitting M35 Series 2-1/2 Ton Trucks. The
answer is yes and we have found that operators are very happy with the
difference power steering makes. Anyone who has driven one of these
vehicles knows first hand how much strength it takes to turn one of these
trucks in some situations. When operating off-road, forces on the front
wheels can translate back to the steering wheel causing it to turn quickly
and without warning. This can be dangerous to the operator.

"The Air-O-Matic system is actually air assisted manual steering that
activates during turning. It takes about 4 hours to install although you
should plan for a little more time the first time doing the procedure. For
further information and pricing, contact Interagency Motor Pool at (866)
749-0100, ext. 1, or www.m35products.com.

"Agencies that have used the Air-O-Matic have been positive about the
experience (24 hour technical support is available). If you expect your
2-1/2 Ton to be in service for a while this retrofit will make it much
easier to handle. We think it is a good investment."

Check out http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/fepp.html on the same
site. Interesting reading.