RE: [MV] M35 charging problem

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2005 - 02:29:23 PST

Morning Bill,
I can't tell you about the alternator/regulator, but the dc-generator has a
separate regulator on the firewall on the driver's side. The black/od box
with cooling fins most likely.
That regulator limits its output current automatically so there is no fuse
or breaker between it and the battery.
Your bat/gen indicator on the dash monitors the battery voltage. If it
doesn't show 28 volts when the engine rpm is 800 or above then there is a
problem with the regulator or generator. Most probable, the regulator, which
has little protection from high voltage spikes that may occur if it happens
to be charging and the battery connections come loose ("load dump"
transients). Also if there is a problem with the connection between the
regulator and generator, the control transistor in the regulator may "blow".
But then again, if you have the 60 amp alternator, I can't help you much at
this time.

As a note, I added "load dump" protection to my regulator by installing
heavy duty varistors and replaced the original control transistor with a
higher current one plus an external micro fuse (MVM Feb 2004 article). Did
this after the regulator failed because of a shorted wire between it and the
generator. Has been working well for a couple of years now.

Hope this helps in some way.
Bjorn