Noise levels in M813

From: J (W7LS@BLARG.NET)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2005 - 13:41:54 PST

The 813 is flat too noisy to carry on a conversation in, while driving.
A really good solution I found is a radio headset made for industrial
high noise areas. Driver and passenger (soldier B) each wear them, both
protecting our hearing and making a conversation possible. An intercom
would work too, but the radio headsets allow soldier B to get out and
help back the rig up or whatever, and you can still talk to him. We even
had an 'opportunity' to figure out what was wrong under the hood using
the headsets. Soldier B had the hood up and was watching belts while I
revved the engine. We could still talk under those conditions. These
headsets usually run on the 49 MHz band, so from time to time, as you
pass houses, you also get to hear a squaking kid on the baby monitor,
which use the same frequencies. You can also use the headsets between
vehicles if you are convoying somewhere. Range is 100-200 yards or so.
Motorcycles also use similar radios, but they glue speakers and mics
into their helmets. I s'pose someone could adapt them to a headset. Jim