Re: [MV] To M1010 Wizards

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2005 - 23:48:28 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike" <michael@tsixroads.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 8:35 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] To M1010 Wizards

> I have considered several possible solutions.

> I think the best solution would be to replace the top alternator with a
new 14v
> one and add a third battery and totally isolate the 12 v buss.

I've done that on two of our M1010 vehicles at work after spending far too
much time trying to get the stock system to work. The lower generator is
still the Leece Neville 28V abortion charging two 12V batteries in series
mounted on the firewall-end tray for starting and comms, and a second
standard-type 12V 80A CUCV alternator is mounted on a custom bracket just
above the existing Leece Neville one to charge the 'front' battery for
lights, wipers, etc., etc. I rigged the dash wiring so I could get the Gen
1 and Gen 2 lights to represent what was going on with the revised setup
too.

If the air conditioning setup wasn't something I cared to keep, I would
*seriously* consider removing the whole works and installing the brackets
and alternators from an M1008 or M1009 and be done with it.

The Canadian Army GM Parts book we have at work also had some four-five
pages of M1010 charging system modification orders stuffed inside the front
cover. Didn't help me out too much on our two 1010's, but if I can dig the
instructions out tomorrow I'll see if I can post them up somewhere in case
they're of help to others. Haven't seen them in awhile so...no promises.