Re: [MV] Images from Florida trip

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2005 - 03:54:10 PST

Hi Tom and Bill,

Don't know much about the trailer yet, but it is actually an M103A3. Kenny
removed the diesel genset that was on it for his own use. I'll let you all
know more about the trailer when I have checked it out. The hydraulic brakes
are operated via the air connection on the driver's side of the deuce. The
trailer has its own "master cylinder". It has an additional "landing gear"
in the rear and, apparently two separte hand brakes. The tires are
11.00-20's.

As far as fuel milage, the total amount of fuel used was 213 gallons. The
truck was at idle for about 8 hrs total and I figure about 1 gal/hr at idle,
which means that 205 gallons was used for actual driving. That averages out
to 8.5 mpg for the trip.
The weight of the vehicle ranged from 16,000 empty to about 20,000 with
trailer and misc "junk".
Yes, the rear axle was disconnected.
Flooring the "gas" pedal, I was running at 55 for hours at a time. I'm sure
the fuel filters need to be replaced...
Sleeping in the cab wasn't too bad, with a blanket, pillow and a sleeping
bag. The noise from the "big rigs" at the truck stops was the problem (most
never shut down for the night), but alternating with motel rooms it worked
out fine. And since I stuck to DOT regs, stopping at all weigh stations and
driving no more than 11 hours/day (kept a log, too), there was plenty of
time to rest.

Maxing out at 55 mph, the only time driving was a bit tricky was when
handling merging traffic. Used the CB for company. Too noisy to to talk
(will try a noise cancelling mike next time), but with the headset
microphone unplugged, I could hear well.

It was a pleasure to meet Wayne Harris, his dad Ed and Kenny and his family.
Thanks Wayne for the freebees! Kenny's enthusiasm and generosity had no
limits and there was a lot to talk about, thank you!

Bjorn