Re: [MV] tracked vehciles on city streets

From: Claude W. Vaughn (vaughn@totalaccess.net)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2005 - 13:24:15 PST

Rick,

You will have to check the laws and ordinances for your area and state. I have not researched this
in depth, but during recent conversations I would say steel tracks will be forbidden on all public
roads. Some states and communities will not allow any tracked vehicles at all. Some areas will
permit tracks with rubber pads. And there may be ground pressure limits and/or vehicle weight
limits. Permits may be available or necessary.

CYA. Get on the phone (and internet)... start with local law enforcement and work up through
county, state, and federal levels. Keep notes of who said what. Wait a few weeks and repeat calls
and notes. You will probably get differing opinions. Ask for copies of the code that applies (or
where to find it on the net) and keep this with you when driving the vehicle. If stopped and
challenged remember to be polite. And remember you can ask for a supervisor if you feel the
necessity.

Claude