Re: [MV] The game's afoot, (continued)

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2005 - 00:49:44 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "J. Forster" <jfor@quik.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 11:26 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] The game's afoot, (continued)

> So what is the scam? I suppose he could put the charge in contest after he
gets
> something of value, or are the parts possibly dual use or export
controlled?
> It's an odd one.

I had one like that when I was working as a Cellular Telephone Technician.
We had a guy in the oilfields send his phone in for some grossly expensive
repair and phoned in with his credit card number to process the charges.
Called up Visa, ran the number, processed the charge - life was good. Visa
gets back to us a week-plus afterwards (when oilfield buddy has his phone
and "is no longer in the employ" of said Oil Company) saying that the card
is a stolen British one and is therefore invalid. Took them that long to
work it out because of the way the databases talk with one-another, and
despite the famed "due diligence" on our part - guess who got stuck with the
bill?

I imagine Dr. Ombuto Skamemal from Kaka, Nigeria, has found a way to
similarly exploit the security lapses to his own advantage and - while I'd
love to see the tables turn on him - it seems SlimyNetWeasels such as he
hold all the cards.

(Hm. How far away is Nigeria from Iraq anyhow?? )