Re: [MV] A British M114???

From: Stephen Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2005 - 09:56:11 PST

> Normally not a problem if it's
> a tight shot of heads and hands shielding the sun from their eyes, but
> huge problem when your nametape etc. appears on the wrong breast
> pocket of
> your uniform, and announces to the world your membership in the YMRA
> SU.

Young Men's Recreational Association State University? :-)

Spotting inconsistencies with military details is a lot of fun. Most
of the people putting this stuff into print (paper or film) haven't a
clue what to look for. In some cases they do, but for production
reasons they don't have a choice (like the two movie examples). When
looking at general type publications (i.e. things assembled by
non-experts) one has to be very aware of this because flip flops are
not uncommon for simple "dramatic" reasons (i.e. having a soldier face
towards the spine of the book instead of to the outside of it). I've
seen more than a few WWII Germans with breast eagles on the left and
riflemen that somehow managed to land themselves a left sided bolt
action rifle :-)

Steve