Re: [MV] Midland TX / Nigerian perp

From: Wayne Harris (papercu@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2005 - 22:54:38 PST

432 is a Texas area code but I can't find the 732 prefix so may be a
internet based phone. See below. Wayne

What is a (Local Exchange) Prefix?
The first three digits of a seven digit phone number in the North American
Numbering Plan are called the "prefix" or "exchange". In some areas, you are
limited to a small set of prefixes determined by your physical location.
This is because -- in the old days -- the telephone network used these first
three digits to connect an incoming phone call to the right "central office"
where other electrical hardware would then interpret the remaining four
digits. Basically, this type of network layout, a hierarchy, made telephone
networks cheaper to build and maintain.
Even though most modern telephone networks being build and upgraded today
are so flexible that such restrictions are no longer necessary, telephone
companies continue to use the old conventions. In future, you will be able
to get any prefix in just about any area code, no matter where the actual
telephone is located (as is already a the case with internet based
telephony).