Re: [MV] 5-ton brake bleed valves

From: Mark J. Blair, NF6X (nf6x@nf6x.net)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2005 - 10:48:35 PST

Sonny Heath wrote:
> Very interesting website on the speedbleeders but there is one part on the
> bleeding process with these little jewels that I don't understand or am
> overlooking. It says that this allows for a one person operation of
> bleeding brakes, right? It also says to open the bleeder valve and then
> pump the brakes until there is no more bubbles coming out. How can I see
> that there is no more bubbles if I'am in the cab pumping the brakes?

I use their brake bleed bag. I prop it on the ground such that the place
where the tube connects is not at the highest point, so that any bubbles
that get pumped into the bag will rise away from the tube. Once the tube
is full of clean fluid without any bubbles, that cylinder has been bled.
I just hop out of the cab after every 1 or 2 pumps to check the tube.

The same technique should work with a tube and dish, if you don't have
the bleed bag. The check valve in the speed bleeder will keep fluid from
re-entering the cylinder from the bleed tube, and if the other end of
the tube is immersed in fluid, then any fluid and bubbles in the tube
will stay there while you climb back out of the cab.

On a deuce, and probably on some other trucks, you can just stay under
the truck and pump the brakes by pulling down on the brake pedal arm.
You still need to get back in the cab after every few pumps to top up
the master cylinder, but that way you can watch the tube while you pump.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x@nf6x.net>
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/nf6x/