Re: [MV] Importing a vehicle for off road use.

From: Stephen Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2005 - 11:28:08 PST

I'm pretty sure the importing itself is Federal and not State. My
understanding is that you can't even import it unless it meets Federal
guidelines, period. Someone near me tried to import a hybrid car years
ago without checking and it was impounded at Customs, complete with
storage fees for a year before it was sent back to Europe (UK I
believe).

Tom, I'd contact US Customs and find out what the deal is, but I don't
think you have much hope of ducking the 25 year rule.

Steve