Re: [MV] Solvent question

From: Stuart Robinson (stalwart@mac.com)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 12:28:32 PST

Depending on the task I use any number of cleaners. For general
degreasing I found few work as well as Castrol SuperClean but DO NOT
use it on warm/hot painted surfaces! I've had it strip all the paint
off one of my Diesel engines when I blasted it after warming the
engine.

Brake cleaner is VERY helpful as many others have attested.

If you decide to go the solvent route I was told when I bought my last
55 gallon drum of the stuff, that I didn't want "solvent" but instead I
wanted "thinner." I was confused at first but I was told that
"solvent" must be sold and then returned and accounted for, so says the
EPA. As for thinner, they don't have to check it back in and account
for it because they know thinner will eventually go into the air. The
"thinner" was the same as "solvent" but without the hassle.

To get away from the bother and hazards of solvents, I bought and
refurbished US Army steam cleaner and an aqueous parts washer which is
nothing more than a 8' high dishwasher with a natural gas heater, 90
gallon tank, stainless steel interior and a 100-120 gpm pump.

Stuart
Redmond, WA