clutchless driving in emergency

From: Bruce Kalin (convoy@mtaofnj.us)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2005 - 07:51:27 PST

david gudmunsen wrote:
Best regards from David Gudmunsen

PS If you are having to do the clutchless gear change remember to stop the
engine when you stop the vehicle and start in gear.

David and fellow forumites,

I used this exact method in 1970, when the bell crank clutch arm bent on
my 1968 390 Mustang GT. Unfortunately, I was trying to get to work in
the morning when the rod bent. It was actually 3/4 inch thick flat plate
steel that bent, after I put in a high performance clutch and pressure
plate. I got to the first hill without any problem, which topped off
with a stop sign. When I started up and crested the hill, another car
came at me broad side. I hit the brake, but had no clutch, couldn't get
it out of first gear due to the high torque load, and that strong engine
just pulled me right into the path of the oncoming car.

I think you could stall a deuce much easier than my car - just something
to be aware of when using this method as a back up in an emergency.

--
Bruce Kalin
Convoy coordinator