Re: [MV] Solvent question

From: Cliff S (mtnbikinssgt@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2005 - 11:15:15 PST

Mike, Great Post, lots of homework in there, great job.......as you have personally found out, the non hazardous replacement did not work as well.  As my post said earlier- If its not hazardous it wont work as well.
If you all want the Military response, remember this is my job in the Corps, (thats why we are all on the edges of our seats now right) and you are looking to keep your MV as close to original as possible, (hehehe human cancer free, and rust cancer free) herein lies the answer.

Its a program called P2 (Pollution Prevention).  Use a less hazardous item for ALL items in the inventory.  Period.  This include using more elbow grease to get the job done.  Most "replacements" call for heated pressure washers.  Steam cleaners, literally using steam to clean, not chemicals.  There is a great guy on Pendleton, GS-11/12 pay, that operates the program.  I have seen many "performances" of vendors claiming to have THE cleaner for us, military guys.

I even hosted one at our Armory, this guy was claiming to be the best, easiest, no holes barred IT cleaner.  About an hour into cleaning an M16 (the kid using CLP oil and brush was done by now) he had the bolt done...........needless to say he left after I concurred with P2 manager it was crap.  Yes it is true, more elbow grease = less hazardous to the environment.

Gents (and Ladies) its all about the environment when you start talking about this stuff.  A "friendly" cleaner WILL NOT WORK AS WELL, but its easier on the environment..........  And that is all I have to say about that............"Forest Gump", The movie.........

Cliff Smith SSgt USMC Iraq
From: "Michael Howell, DO" <michael@tsixroads.com> To: "Military Vehicles Mailing List" <mil-veh@mil-veh.org> Subject: Re: [MV] Solvent question Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 00:26:28 -0600 I am not sure that anyone has really answered the question yet. Wasn't there a discussion about this before that mentioned an official recommendation for a replacement for dry cleaning solution. I have been doing some goggling and came up with a few questions of my own. I assume "dry cleaning fluid" that is mentioned in all of the TMs is PCE as in the following quote. ............