Re: [MV] Best Penetrating . . . unsticking engines.

From: Stuart Robinson (stalwart@mac.com)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 15:51:43 PST

On Feb 14, 2005, at 2:35 PM, bruce C. Beattie wrote:

>> I've got a seized L134 engine that has the head off and the
>> cylinders looked good so I put about a 1/4" of Kroil on each piston.

As a LAST ditch effort, make yourself up a fitting with proper threads
and insert a grease "zerk" fitting in the spark plug hole. Find a
cylinder nearest top dead center with BOTH valves closed. If you can,
it's best to remove all push-rods at this time and they should all
close. By removing the push-rods before adding grease, provided the
valves aren't stuck, they should close on their own. A dead blow
hammer works often on OHV engines to unstick valves but there is no
guarantee. Go ahead and reinstall your old used head gasket and head
with a fair amount of grease or Permatex #2, you'll be tossing the
gasket into the trash can (rubbish bin for you Limeys) soon enough.

Go to the cylinder you found earlier (will be either on compression or
power stroke) and carefully using a grease gun apply grease to the
cylinder (heavy gear oil also works for this). In fact, I use an air
grease gun to pump 140 weight gear oil and this would be my first
choice since it's cheaper than grease with less cleanup.

This works BEST on aircraft engines because you can remove each
cylinder separately after removing the cylinder hold down nuts. This
is a DRASTIC measure and should be done at last resort, unless it is on
an engine with individually removable cylinders such as those found on
aircraft. DO NOT USE high pressure air OR compressed gasses!

You may need to do this to EACH cylinder with a little nudge to each in
turn, but be sure to remove the fitting and move it to the next spark
plug hole. Don't make up 4 or more fittings as you'll be bending rods
or breaking cranks in no time.

S.