Re: [MV] Found: Acoustic Suppression Kit (ASK)

From: Bruce C. Beattie (bruce@eecs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2005 - 18:50:45 PST

Dev Null wrote:

> Thanks to all who tired to help out.
>
> I found a few surplus dealers who had what I was looking for. Generic
> searches were not productive. I finally went to every military
> surplus generator site on google and looked at their generators. I
> called anyone who had my generator with an ASK installed or as a
> separate item.
>
> Some wanted a high price. Others had incomplete kits removed from
> generators. Most warned of likely water damage after years of storage
> outside. Only one had a reasonable price and seemed confident about
> the quality and completeness of his stock. The ASK arrived today, it
> was in an old (original) weathered wooden box. Inside was a mint
> condition (disassembled) ASK wrapped in heavy gauge sealed plastic.
> Each component of the ASK was wrapped separately in thin foam wrap to
> protect the finish and marked with an inventory number. There was no
> moisture damage what so ever.
>
> I am a newbe to the military surplus world so I did not know what to
> expect. I am very pleased with my experience. Maybe folks with a
> kinship to the military and military equipment are just a bit more
> honest and trustworthy than other segments of the population. On the
> other hand, maybe a Caribbean Vacation for two may appear on my credit
> cart bill next month ;-).
>
> I am not sure about the policy of this forum about mentioning and
> endorsing individual dealers so I will not mention the name. Anyone
> who wants to know can contact me directly.
>
> harry

Yes Harry, please send to the list and say who it was. This is very
acceptable list behavior.
I think you were exceptionally lucky to get such a deal in that
condition. Most all of
the people on our list are very honorable. It is very rare than anyone
gets really shafted,
but it does happen. Most of the time people get a complete item or the
seller has said something
in front. The condition is usually as described, and usually needs some
work, Mostly cosmetic
though. That is the general state of things.

Welcome aboard,
Bruce MVPA 23824

Remember to join the MVPA